- All submissions to The Site of Big Shoulders should have a connection with the greater Chicago region, either by authorship or subject matter.
- All submissions are subject to review by the SOBS editorial staff. We are most interested in presenting original, unconventional and engaging content that is not otherwise available to the public at large.
- Please limit fiction submissions to 3,000 words or less. Or in the case of longer submissions, please offer suggestions for how the submission could be serialized.
- All contributors retain ownership of their original work; when submitting content to The Site of Big Shoulders, contributors grant The Site of Big Shoulders a limited license to feature their work within the Internet domain sobs.org. The Site of Big Shoulders retains copyright over all SOBS-created production and design elements.
- The Site of Big Shoulders currently operates on a varying production cycle for all site departments. We apply high production standards to submitted content, including editing suggestions, accompanying illustrations and graphics, and overall design. Contributors are encouraged to participate in the production process.
- We prefer to receive submissions in electronic format, specifically plain ASCII text files for written content and large-format TIFF or Photoshop files for images. We can accommodate hard-copy text and printed media as well, including photography, oversized artwork and other large-format media. Feel free to send URL locations containing representative samples of submitted content.
- Due to limited production resources and our high production values, some time may pass between SOBS' receipt of a submission and publication on the site.
- The Site of Big Shoulders works to help promote the work of our contributors and will be happy to include links to a contributor's Web site or e-mail address from within that contributor's feature.